Purchasing a Domain Name and Platform package
Before creating a functioning CMS, it will require a unique domain name. Fortunately, most hosting providers offer both Domain Name and Platform packages. For this specific course, we will be utilizing the WordPress platform.
To use WordPress, you have two choices. To use WordPress.com or WordPress.org. (read here the difference between the two)
Purchasing a Domain Name via WordPress.com
- Go to WordPress.com and sign up for an account if you haven’t already.
- Once you’ve logged in, it will direct you to the “Choose a Domain” page.
- Type in the domain name you want to purchase in the search box. It will automatically search if the domain is available or not.
- If available, it will provide you with the domain extension you would like. Take note that each domain extension (.com or .blog, etc) will cost differently. For this particular course, we will choose a dotcom. Once decided, click the “Select” button
- It will direct you to the second page where you have to choose which “flavor” of WordPress would you like. Consider this as the payment package. The more feature-packed your WordPress is, the more expensive it gets.
- Review your order summary and input your credit card details.
- Once your purchase is complete, you will receive a confirmation email from WordPress with details about your domain name purchase and you will be directed immediately to the WordPress Dashboard.
Purchasing a Domain Name via Self-Hosted WordPress (SiteGround)
- Go to Siteground’s website at www.siteground.com and click on the “Start Now” button at the left side of the page.
- Choose a WordPress plan suitable to your budget (and purpose) and click “Get Plan”.
- Type in the domain name you want to purchase in the search bar and click on “Search”. If the domain name is available, it will show up in the search results.
- Select the domain name you want to purchase by clicking on the “Add to Cart” button next to it.
- If you have any additional services or features you want to add to your domain purchase, such as privacy protection or email hosting, you can select them now.
- Review your order summary and make sure everything looks correct. If you have a Siteground account, you can log in to use any credits or discounts you have available.
- Enter your payment information and complete the checkout process.
- Once your purchase is complete, you will receive a confirmation email from Siteground with details about your domain name purchase.
- You can now manage your domain name through the Siteground dashboard, where you can update your contact information, DNS settings, and other details related to your domain.
Go back to the Main Page here.